Friday, September 25, 2009

Steel test

My dad has worked for more than 30 years in a Steel plant and surprisingly, I have never ventured inside to see his environs though I know that they have made him the hardened man that he is (pun intended).
I was testing the hardyness of my S5IS to perform in this dusty, hot surrounding. I got a chance to carry it through a lot of situations. I list the departments and the challenges they pose
  • The Sinter plant - red oxide dust of ... microns with a density of ... basically u turn red if u just stand half hour there.
  • Blast Furnace - The hottest place in the plant obviously to combine various components of the alloy to make steel.
  • Rolling Mills -  A little less hot than hell, where steel is shaped into sheets, rods, rails etc. However there is too much Infra-red around that can melt a camera which is not watercooled like your body. IR also affects ur shots.
  • Coke Ovens - Straight out of a Noir comic in looks, this place is where the coal is made worthy of being put in the furnace. Carbon dust is anywhere, even in your lungs within five minutes.
  •  

No comments:

Post a Comment